BioPlan is tracking more than 1000 facilities worldwide with at least some involvement in biopharmaceutical manufacture. Included
are hundreds of product manufacturing facilities and many more operating at smaller scale to support R&D and clinical testing.
These facilities account for approximately $10 billion in equipment and consumable sales annually. Despite its strategic importance,
this information resource to track biopharmaceutical manufacturing facilities and benchmark their economic contributions is
the first to provide comprehensive indexing and ranking.
Knowing where the key people and facilities are is critical for decision-making. Besides comparisons between facilities and
companies, the Top 1000 enables geographic, indexed comparisons on a local, state, or country basis. The clustering of related
facilities and professionals in the same locale is important for high-tech industry growth. Companies, investors, human resources
departments, analysts, regional business development authorities, and governments can use this resource to address a variety
of strategic issues. For example:
- Exactly where are biopharmaceutical manufacturing capacity and employment clustered?
- Where is the industry growing the most, and by which indexed factors?
- Just how many facilities are there in China, India, Russia and other developing countries; how rapidly are these facilities
growing, and how do they compare with those in the US and Europe?
- Where is large-scale capacity being added, and who controls this?
- Where do companies rank in terms of their impact on the biopharmaceutical industry, employment, capacity, and overall health?
For this effort, BioPlan Associates is leveraging its annual survey of biopharmaceutical manufacturers (1), to establish the
BioPlan Top 1000 Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing Facilities Index as an ongoing resource to rank and index facilities and
biomanufacturing regions. The information will be provided on BioPlan's website,
http://www.bioplanassociates.com/top1000/, and detailed data will be made available to those who contribute to the effort to keep the information updated. This enables
benchmarking, comparisons, and quantifying of geographic trends within the biopharmaceutical manufacturing sector.
1. BioPlan Associates, 8th Annual Report and Survey of Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing Capacity and Production, April 2011,
2. BioPlan Associates, Biopharmaceutical Products in US and European Markets, 2011,