76. Bavarian F, Fan LS, Chalmers JJ. Microscopic visualization of insect cell-bubble interactions. I: Rising bubbles, air-medium
interface, and the foam layer. Biotechnol Prog. 1991;7(2):140–50.
77. Chalmers JJ, Bavarian F. Microscopic visualization of insect cell-bubble interactions. II: The bubble film and bubble
rupture. Biotechnol Prog. 1991;7(2):151–8.
78. Orton DR, Wang DIC. Fluorescent visualization of cell death in bubble aerated bioreactors: Cell Culture Engineering III.
Chem Eng Comm. 1992:118(1):341–60.
79. Trinh K, Garcia-Briones M, Chalmers JJ, Hink F. Quantification of damage to suspended insect cells as a result of bubble
rupture. Biotech Bioeng. 1994;43(1):37–45.
80. Handa A, Emery AN, Spier R. On the evaluation of gas-liquid interfacial effects on hybridoma viability in bubble column
bioreactors. Dev Biol Stand. 1987;66:241–53.
81. Kunas KT, Papoutsakis ET. Damage mechanisms of suspended animal cells in agitated bioreactors with and without bubble
entrainment. Biotech Bioeng. 2009;102(4):977–87.
82. Boulton-Stone JM, Blake JR. Gas bubbles bursting at a free surface. J Fluid Mech. 1993;254:437–66.
83. Garcia-Briones M, Brodkey R, Chalmers JJ. Computer simulations of the rupture of a gas bubble at a gas-liquid interface
and its implications in animal cell damage. Chem Eng Sci. 1994;49(14):2304–20.
84. Mollet M, Ma N, Zhao Y, Brodkey R, Taticek R, Chalmers JJ. Bioprocess equipment: characterization of energy dissipation
rate and its potential to damage cells. Biotechnol Prog. 2004;20(5):1437–48.
85. Elias CB, Desai RB, Patole MS, Joshi JB, Mashelkar RA. Turbulent shear stress—effect on mammalian cell culture and measurement
using laser Doppler anemometer. Chem Eng Sci. 1995;50(15):2431–40.
86. Miller J, Rogowski M, Kelly W. Using a CFD model to understand the fluid dynamics promoting E. coli breakage in a high-pressure
homogenizer. Biotechnol Prog. 2002;18(5):1060–7.
87. Fang Z. Use of CFD to troubleshoot cell culture performance in production scale bioreactors during technology transfer,
AIChE annual meeting; 2008; Philadelphia, PA.
88. Fang Z, Nyberg G, Hunt S, Crowell C, Gall S, Fan M. Use of CFD to identify and resolve the root causes for abnormal cell
culture performance observed at large-scale during technology transfer. Biotech Bioeng. 2009 (to be submitted).