Craig McKelvey and Yang Wang are acknowledged for helpful discussions.
Ning Wang is a research biochemist, Binghua Hu is a research biochemist, Roxana Ionescu is a research fellow, Henryk Mach is a senior investigator, when this article was written, Joyce Sweeney was a senior investigator, Christopher Hamm is a research biochemist, Marc J. Kirchmeier is an associate director, and Brian K. Meyer is a research fellow, all in Bioprocess Analytical and Formulation Sciences, Bioprocess Research and Development, at Merck
Research Laboratories, Merck & Co., West Point, PA, 215.652.3992, email@example.com
1. Wang W, Singh S, Zeng DL, King K, Nema S. Antibody structure, instability, and formulation. J Pharm Sci. 2007 Jan;96(1):1–26.
2. Physicians' Desk Reference, 60th Edition. 2007. Montvale NJ, Medical Economics.
3. Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary. 1989. New York, NY, Dilithium Press, Ltd.
4. Sukumar M, Doyle BL, Combs JL, Pekar AH. Opalescent appearance of an IgG1 antibody at high concentrations and its relationship
to noncovalent association. Pharm Res. 2004;21:1087–93.
5. Curtis RA, Prausnitz JM, Blanch HW. Protein–protein and protein–salt interactions in aqueous protein solutions containing
concentrated electrolytes. Biotechnol Bioeng. 1998;57:11–21.
6. Arakawa T, Bhat R, Timasheff SN. Preferential interactions determine protein solubility in three-component solutions:
the MgCl2 system. Biochem. 1990;29:1914–23.
7. Fatouros A, Osterberg T, Mikaelsson M. Recombinant factor VIII SQ—inactivation kinetics in aqueous solution and the influence
of disaccharides and sugar alcohols. Pharm Res. 1997;14:1679–84.
8. Sakurai K, Oobatake M, Goto Y. Salt-dependent monomer-dimer equilibrium of bovine beta-lactoglobulin at pH 3. Protein
9. Chi EY, Krishnan S, Randolph TW, Carpenter JF. Physical stability of proteins in aqueous solution: mechanism and driving
forces in nonnative protein aggregation. Pharm Res. 2003;20:1325–36.
10. Yamasaki M, Yano H, Aoki K. Differential scanning calorimetric studies on bovine serum albumin: II. Effects of neutral
salts and urea. Int J Biol Macromol. 1991;13:322–8.
11. Chi EY, Krishnan S, Kendrick BS, Chang BS, Carpenter JF, Randolph TW. Roles of conformational stability and colloidal
stability in the aggregation of recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. Protein Sci. 2003;12:903–13.
12. Mahler HC, Muller R, Friess W, Delille A, Matheus S. Induction and analysis of aggregates in a liquid IgG1-antibody
formulation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2005;59:407–17.
13. Molecular Weight Theory. Zetasizer Nano Series Manual 0317. Chapter 15; 2008. Malvern UK, Malvern Instruments.
14. Broering JM, Bommarius AS. Evaluation of Hofmeister effects on the kinetic stability of proteins. J Phys Chem B. 2005;109:20612–9.
15. Zhang Y, Cremer PS. Interactions between macromolecules and ions: The Hofmeister series. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2006;10:658–63.
16. Alford JR, Kendrick BS, Carpenter JF, Randolph TW. Measurement of the second osmotic virial coefficient for protein
solutions exhibiting monomer-dimer equilibrium. Anal Biochem. 2008;377:128–33.