India's actual and perceived shortcomings have together been detrimental to its ambitions in biologics manufacturing, even
with respect to its main cost rival, China. These factors suggest that India is several years away from becoming a major destination
for the outsourcing of biopharmaceutical manufacturing. In the long run, however, if Indian biologics manufacturers can establish
a track record for recombinant products, enhance its quality image, maintain cost competitiveness, and demonstrate technology
transfer and regulatory know-how, they are likely to be in the middle of the next boom in biologics manufacturing.
1. Langer E, ed. Advances in biopharmaceuticals technology in India. Rockville, MD: Bioplan Associates; 2007.
2. Bioplan Associates. Top 60 biopharmaceutical organizations in India. Rockville, MD: BioPlan Associates. 2008.
3. Report sees boom time ahead for biopharma CMOs. Pharma
http://Technologist.com/. 2005 Sep 15; cited 2008 Mar 8. Available from: http://www.in-pharmatechnologist.com/news/ng.asp?id=62535-outsourcing-contract-manufacturing-biopharmaceutical/.
4. Optimizing partnerships with contract organizations. Business Insights report.
http://Reportbuyer.com/. 2007 Nov; cited 2008 Mar 8. Available from: http://www.reportbuyer.com/pharma_healthcare/healthcare/optimizing_partnerships_contract_organization.html.
5. Bioplan Associates. 5th Annual report and survey of biopharmaceutical manufacturing capacity and production. Rockville,
MD: Bioplan Associates; 2008.
6. Downey W, Sopchak L. Evaluating supply and demand patterns for contract biologics manufacturing. Pharm Technol. 2007;31(8)Suppl:
7. Biomanufacturing strategies. Business insights report (2007).
http://Globalbusinessinsights.com/. Cited 2008 Mar 8. Available from: http://www.globalbusinessinsights.com/content/rbcr0003m.pdf.
8. 5th Annual report and survey. Rockville, MD. BioPlan Associates. 2008 Sep.
http://Pharmsource.com/. Stuck at the Dock? Cited 2008 Mar 8. Available from: http://www.pharmsource.com/blog/2007_03_01_pharmsource_archive.html.
10. Goodwin Bio to partner with Indian biopharma cos for contract manufacturing. Press release (2006 Feb 7). Cited 2008
Mar 8 2008. Available from http://www.goodwinbio.com/Pharmabiz.pdf.
http://Biocon.com/ [press archive on the internet]. Cited 2008 Mar 8. Available from: http://www.biocon.com/biocon_press_archive_news4.asp/.
http://Biotech.com/. [page on the internet]. Cited 2008 Mar 8. Available from: http://www.bharatbiotech.com/alliances.htm.
Eric Langer is president and managing partner at BioPlan Associates, Inc., Rockville, MD. He is also the editor of Advances in Biopharmaceutical Technology in India, 301.921.9074, firstname.lastname@example.org