21. Nicolette C, Healey D, Tcherepanova I, et al. Dendritic cells for active immunotherapy: Optimizing design and manufacture
in order to develop commercially and clinically viable products. Vaccine. 2007; In press.
22. Zhong H, Shurin MR, Han B. Optimizing dendritic cell-based immunotherapy for cancer. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2007;6(3):333–45.
23. Sorg RV, Ozcan Z, Brefort T, Fischer J et al. Clinical-scale generation of dendritic cells in a closed system. J Immunother
24. Karp CL, Wysocka M, Ma X, Marovich M, Factor RE, Nutman T, et al. Potent suppression of IL-12 production from monocytes
and dendritic cells during endotoxin tolerance. Eur J Immunol. 1998;28(10):3128–36.
25. Noorman F, Braat EA, Barrett-Bergshoeff M, Barbe E, van Leeuwen A, Lindeman J, et al. Monoclonal antibodies against the
human mannose receptor as a specific marker in flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry for macrophages. J Leukoc Biol. 1997;61(1):63–72.
26. Butterfield L, Whiteside T. Development of a potency assay for human dendritic cells: IL-12p70 production. J Immunother.
2007; In press.
27. Tatsumi T, Huang J, Gooding WE, Gambotto A, et al. Intratumoral delivery of dendritic cells engineered to secrete both
interleukin (IL)-12 and IL-18 effectively treats local and distant disease in association with broadly reactive TC1-type immunity.
Cancer Res. 2003;63(19):6378–86.
28. Wiltrout RH, Gregorio TA, Fenton RG, Longo DL et al. Cellular and molecular studies in the treatment of murine renal cancer.
Semin Oncol. 1995;22(1):9–16.
29. Elias M, van Zanten J, Hospers G, Setroikromo A, de Jong M, de Leij L, et al. Closed system generation of dendritic cells
from a single blood volume for clinical application in immunotheraphy. J Clin Apher. 2005;20:197–207.
30. Tuyaerts S, Noppe SM, Corthals J, Breckpot K, Heirman C, De Greef C, et al. Generation of large numbers of dendritic cells
in a closed system using cell factories. J Immunol Methods. 2002;264(1-2):135–51.
31. Proudfoot O, Apostolopoulos V, Pietersz GA. Receptor-mediated delivery of antigens to dendritic cells: anticancer applications.
Mol Pharm. 2007;4(1):58-72.
32. Whiteside TL, Stanson J, Shurin MR, Ferrone S. Antigen-processing machinery in human dendritic cells: up-regulation by
maturation and down-regulation by tumor cells. J Immunol. 2004;173(3):1526–34.
33. Williams MA, Porter M, Horton M, Guo J, Roman J, Williams D, et al. Ambient particulate matter directs nonclassic dendritic
cell activation and a mixed TH1/TH2-like cytokine response by naive CD4+ T cells. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;119(2):488–97.
34. Grohmann U, Fallarino F, Bianchi R, Belladonna ML, et al. Functional plasticity of dendritic cell subsets as mediated
by CD40 versus B7 activation. J Immunol. 2003;171:2581–87.
35. Shankar G, Fourrier MS, Grevenkamp MA, Lodge PA. Validation of the COSTIM bioassay for dendritic cell potency. J Pharm
Biomed Anal. 2004;36(2):285–94.
36. Whiteside T. Immune monitoring of clinical trials with biotherapies. Adv Clin Chem. 2007; In press.
37. Newton PJ, Weller IV, Katz DR, Chain BM. Autologous apoptotic T cells interact with dendritic cells, but do not affect
their surface phenotype or their ability to induce recall immune responses. Clin Exp Immunol. 2003;133(1):50–8.
38. Whiteside TL. Immune suppression in cancer: Effects on immune cells, mechanisms and future therapeutic intervention. Semin
Cancer Biol. 2006;16:3–15.