Approaches to BBB delivery include using lipophilic pro-drugs, carrier-mediated transport, inhibition of efflux transporters,
and receptor-mediated transport.41 Given the importance of the CNS area, advances in BBB delivery should have significant impacts on the practice of medicine.
[Editors note: Figures for this article are not available online. To obtain a complete copy of the article with figures,
please send your mailing address to email@example.com
William J. Lambert, PhD, is the senior vice president of pharmaceutical development at Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (previously SkyePharma Inc.),
San Diego, CA, 858.625.2424, BillL@pacira.com
1. Hisey T. The big squeeze: The simple answer to pharma's pipeline crisis? Get more value out of the products you already
have (lifecycle management). Pharm Exec. 2004 Oct; 24(10):86–98.
2. Downes Z. The World Biotech Market 2005. [report on the Internet]. Dorset, UK: Bioportfolio Limited; 2005 Jun 17. [cited
2007 July 17]. Available from:
3. Charman WN, Porter CJH, Mithani S, Dressman JB. Physicochemical and physiological mechanisms for the effects of food on
drug absorption: the role of lipids and pH. J Pharm Sci. 1997;86(3):269–282.
4. Lee VHL, Yamamoto A. Penetration and enzymatic barriers to peptide and protein absorption. Adv Drug Delivery Rev. 1990;4:171–207.
5. Burton PS, Conradi RA, Ho,NFH, Hilgers AR, Borchardt RT. How structural features influence the biomembrane permeability
of peptides. J Pharm Sci. 1996;85(12):1336–1340.
6. Rave et al., Time-action profile of inhaled insulin in comparison with subcutaneously injected insulin lispro and regular
human insulin.Diabetes Care. 2005;28:1077–1082.
7. Grundy GS, Foster RT. The nifedipine gastrointestinal therapeutic system (GITS). Clin Pharmacokinet. 1996;30(1) 28–51.
8. Zisson A. Wall Street's view of protein and peptide delivery: does this model still work? Amer Pharm Rev. 2003;6(3):21–24.
9. Martin NE, Collison KR, Martin LL, Tardif S, Wilding I, Wray H, Barrett JS. Pharmacoscintigraphic assessment of the regional
drug absorption of the dual angiotensin-converting enzyme/neutral endopeptidase inhibitor, M100240, in healthy volunteers.
J Clin Pharmacol. 2003;43:529–538.
10. Rocca JG, Omidian H, Shah KU. Commercial status of gastric retention technologies. Drug Deliv Technol. 2005;5(4):50–58.
11. Sica DA, Neutel JM, Weber MA, Manowitz N. The antihypertensive efficacy and safety of a chronotherapeutic formulation
of propranolol in patients with hypertension. J Clin. Hypertension 2004;6(5):231–241.
12. Amidon GL, Lennernäs H, Shah VP, Crison JR. A theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation
of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability. Pharm Res. 1995;12(3):413–420.
13. Lipka E, Crison J, Amidon GL. Transmembrane transport of peptide type compounds: prospects for oral delivery. J Control
14. Lipinski, CA, Lombardo, F, Dominy, BW, Feeney, PJ, Experimental and computational approaches to estimate solubility and
permeability in drug discovery and development settings, Adv Drug Del Rev. 2001;46(1–3):3–26.
15. Patel MV, Chen F-J. Solid carriers for improved delivery of active ingredients in pharmaceutical compositions. United
States Patent 6,248,363, 2001 June 19 .