23. Di Guan C, Li P, Riggs PD, Inouye H. Vectors that facilitate the expression and purification of foreign peptides in Escherichia
coli by fusion to maltose-binding protein. Gene. 1988; 67:21–30.
24. Smith DB, Johnson KS. Single-step purification of polypeptides expressed in Escherichia coli as fusions with glutathione-S-transferase.
Gene. 1988; 67:31–40.
25. Makrides AC. Strategies for achieving high-level expression of genes in Escherichia coli. Microbiol. Reviews. 1996; 60:512–538.
26. Narum DL, Kumar S, Rogers WO, Fuhrmann SR, Liang H, Oakley M, et al. Codon optimization of gene fragments encoding Plasmodium
falciparum merzoite proteins enhances DNA vaccine protein expression and immunogenicity in mice. Infect. Immun. 2001; 69:7250–3.
27. Brinkmann U, Mattes RE, Buckel P. High-level expression of recombinant genes in Escherichia coli is dependent on the
availability of the dnaY gene product. Gene. 1989; 85:109–114.
28. Butt TR, Jonnalagadda S, Monia BP, Sternberg EJ, Marsh JA, Stadel JM, et al. Ubiquitin fusion augments the yield of cloned
gene products in Escherichia coli. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 1989; 86:2540–4.
29. Dubendorff JW, Studier FW. Controlling basal expression in an inducible T7 expression system by blocking the target T7
promoter with the lac repressor. J. Mol. Biol. 1991; 219:45–59.
30. Thiem SM, Miller LK. Differential gene expression mediated by late, very late and hybrid baculovirus promoters. Gene.
31. Sachdev D, Chirgwin JM. Fusions to maltose-binding protein: Control of folding and solubility in protein purification.
Methods Enzymol. 2000; 326:321–321.
32. Arechaga I, Miroux B, Runswick MJ, Walker JE. Over-expression of Escherichia coli F1F(o)-ATPase subunit a is inhibited
by instability of the uncB gene transcript. FEBS Lett. 2003; 547;97–100.
33. Prinz A, Aslund F, Holmgren A, Beckwith J. The role of the thioredoxin and glutaredoxin pathways in reducing protein
disulfide bonds in the Escherichia coli cytoplasm. J. Biol. Chem. 1997; 272:15661–7.
34. Ikura K, Kokubu T, Natsuka S, Ichikawa A, Adachi M, Nishihara K, et al. Co-overexpression of folding modulators improves
the solubility of the recombinant guinea pig liver transglutaminase in Escherichia coli. Prep. Biochem. Biotechnol. 2002;
35. Wulfing C, Pluckthun A. Correctly folded T-cell receptor fragments in the periplasm of Escherichia coli. Influence of
folding catalysts. J. Mol. Biol. 1994; 242:655–669.
36. Sugamata Y, Shiba T. Improved secretory production of recombinant proteins by random mutagenesis of hlyB, an a-hemolysin
transporter from Escherichia coli. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2005; 71:656–662.
37. Chopra AK, Brasier AR, Das M, Xu XJ, Peterson JW. Improved synthesis of Salmonella typhimurium enterotoxin using gene
fusion expression systems. Gene. 1994; 144:81–85.
38. Fox JD, Kapust RB, Waugh DS. Single amino acid substitutions on the surface of Escherichia coli maltose-binding protein
can have a profound impact on the solubility of fusion proteins. Protein Sci. 2001; 10:622–630.
39. Englander SW. Protein folding intermediates and pathways studied by hydrogen exchange. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct.
40. Creighton TE. How important is the molten globule for correct protein folding? Trends Biochem. Sci. 1997; 22:6–10.
41. Bach H, Mazor Y, Shaky S, Shoham-Lev A, Berdichevsky Y, Gutnick DL, Benhar I. Escherichia coli maltose-binding protein
as a molecular chaperone for recombinant intracellular cytoplasmic single-chain antibodies. J. Mol. Biol. 2001; 312(1):79–93.