The authors are deeply indebted to their many colleagues at GTC Biotherapeutics and Genzyme Corporation who have dedicated
years to the development of transgenic technology and to the ATryn filings.
Yann Echelard, PhD, is vice president of research and development at GTC Biotherapeutics, Inc. 5 the Mountain Rd, Framingham, MA 01701, 508.370.5420,
fax 508.370.5104, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol A. Ziomek, PhD, is vice president for development at GTC Biotherapeutics, Inc. 175 Crossing Blvd., Framingham MA 01702, 508.370.5421, fax 508.370.5266, email@example.com
Harry M. Meade, PhD, is senior vice president of research and development at GTC Biotherapeutics, Inc., 175 Crossing Blvd., Framingham MA 01702, 508.370.5256, fax 508.370.5266, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Simons JP, McClenaghan M, Clark AJ. Alteration of the quality of milk by expression of sheep β-lactoglobulin in transgenic
mice. Nature 1987; 328:530-532.
2. Gordon K, Lee E, Vitale JA, Smith AE, Westphal H, Hennighausen L. Production of human tissue plasminogen activator in
transgenic mouse milk. Bio/Technology 1987; 5:1183-1187.
3. Meade H, Gates L, Lacy E, Lonberg N. Bovine αS1-casein gene sequences direct expression of active human urokinase in mouse
milk Bio/Technology 1990; 8:443-446.
4. Clark, AJ.The mammary gland as a bioreactor: expression, processing, and production of recombinant proteins. J Mammary
Gland Biol Neopl 1998; 3:337-350.
5. Meade HM, Echelard Y, Ziomek CA, Young MW, Harvey M, Cole ES, Groet S, Smith TE, Curling JM. Expression of recombinant
proteins in the milk of transgenic animals. In: Fernandez JM and Hoeffler JP editors. Gene expression systems: Using nature
for the art of expression. San Diego: Academic Press; 1998 p. 399-427.
6. Pollock DP, Kutzko JP, Birck-Wilson E, Williams JL, Echelard Y, Meade HM. Transgenic milk as a method for the production
of recombinant antibodies. J. Immunol. Methods 1999; 137:147-157.
7. Maga EA and Murray JD. Mammary gland expression of transgenes and the potential for altering the properties of milk. Bio/Technology
8. Stowers AW, Chen LH, Zhang Y, Kennedy, MC, Zou L, Lambert L, Rice TJ, Kaslow DC, Saul A, Long CA, Meade HM, Miller LH.
A recombinant vaccine expressed in the milk of transgenic mice protects Aotus monkeys from a lethal challenge with Plasmodium falciparum. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99:339-344.
9. Stinnackre, MG, Massoud M, Viglietta C, Houdebine LM.The preparation of recombinant proteins from mouse and rabbit milk
for biomedical and pharmaceutical studies. In: Houdebine LM editor. Transgenic animals, generation and use. Amsterdam: Harwood
Academic Publishers; 1997. p. 461-463.
10. Korhonen VP, Tolvanen M, Hyttinen JM, Uusi-Oukari M, Sinervirta R, Alhonen L, Jauhiainen M, Janne OA, Janne J. Expression
of bovine beta-lactoglobulin/human erythropoietin fusion protein in the milk of transgenic mice and rabbits. Eur J Biochem
11. Stromqvist M, Houdebine LM, Andersson JO, Edlund A, Johansson T, Viglietta C, Puissant C, Hansson L. Recombinant human
extracellular superoxide dismutase produced in milk of trans-genic rabbits. Transgenic Res 1997; 6:271-278.
12. McKee C, Gibson A, Dalrymple M, Emslie L, Garner I, Cottingham I. Production of biologically active salmon calcitonin
in the milk of transgenic rabbits. Nat Biotechnol 1998; 16:647-651.