OBi Des-B30 insulin was shown to function in a statistically identical manner (p < 0.05) to Humulin R pharmaceutical-grade and Roche research-grade insulin following intraperitoneal injection over the time-course
of the study. All insulins tested significantly reduced plasma glucose levels (p < 0.05) in comparison to saline and a negative control fraction from Trypsin-cleaved wild-type Arabidopsis oilbodies. No toxic side effects were observed with OBi insulin. We are currently optimizing insulin expression in safflower
and anticipate completing development of our production variety in 2006. SemBioSys is focusing its development efforts on
those protein candidates where our platform addresses major commercialization challenges with respect to scale and cost of
production, such as is the case with insulin.
Nancy Markley, Ph.D. is director of business development at SemBioSys Genetics Inc. , 110, 2985–23 Avenue, N.E. Calgary, Alberta, Canada T1Y 7L3,
403.717.8774, fax 403.250.3886,
Cory Nykiforuk, Ph.D. is biochemistry group leader at SemBioSys Genetics Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
Joe Boothe, Ph.D. is director of biochemistry at SemBioSys Genetics Inc. email@example.com
Maurice Moloney, Ph.D. is founder and chief scientific officer at SemBioSys Genetics Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Werner RG. Economic aspects of commercial manufacture of biopharmaceuticals. J. Biotech. 2004; 113:171–182.
2. Roth GY. Bio-outsourcing report. Will bio-generics create a new CMO business? Contract Pharma 2004 June:43-50.
3. Ingley A, Pavlik J, Smith T. Transgenic protein production as an alternative manufacturing technology for pharmaceutical
companies. Kellogg School of Management. Evanston IL. 2002; 1–28.
4. Boothe J and Markley NA. The design and use of transgenic plant expression systems for the production of foreign proteins.
Recent Advances in Phytochemistry 2003:31–57.
5. World Health Organization, Diabetes mellitus. Fact Sheet N 138. 2002 April.
6. Datamonitor. Recombinant therapeutic proteins. 2004; Reference Code DMHC1975.
7. Nykiforuk CL, Boothe JB, Murray EW, Keon RG, Goren J, Markley NA, Moloney MM. Transgenic expression and recovery of biologically
active recombinant human insulin from Arabidopsis thaliana seeds. Plant Biotechn. J. 2005; 3:77–85.
8. Kjeldsen T, Balschmidt P, Diers I, Hach M, Kaarsholm NC, and Ludvigsen S. Expression of insulin in yeast: The importance
of molecular adaptation for secretion and conversion. Biotech. and Gen. Eng. Rev. 2001; 18:89–121.
9. Arakawa Y, Yu J, Chong DKX, Hough J, Engen PC, and Langridge WHR. A plant-based cholera toxin B subunit-insulin fusion
protein protects against the development of autoimmune diabetes. Nature Biotech. 1998; 16:934–938.
We thank Liz Murray, Ph.D., Harm Deckers, Ph.D., Tara Girvitz, and Phillip Stephan for their contributions to the generation
of data, preparation of figures and text, and critical review.