GE Healthcare, a General Electric company, provides transformational medical technologies that are shaping a new age of patient
care. GE Healthcare Bio-Sciences, a business of GE Healthcare, provides a broad range of products and services for protein
separation, medical diagnostics, and drug discovery.
Protein separation tools are applied to research, development and production programs to yield more targeted and effective
therapies. Protein separation products are used in over 70 percent of the chromatographic purification of proteins at laboratory-scale,
and in the manufacture of over 90 percent of the biopharmaceuticals currently on the market.
Chief Biopharmaceutical Techniques Supported
- Packed bed chromatography products for ion exchange, affinity, hydrophobic interaction, and reversed-phase chromatography
at all scales
- Expanded bed adsorption products for ion exchange, affinity, and hydrophobic interaction chromatography
- Cross-flow filtration products for ultrafiltration and microfiltration from the laboratory bench through the pilot-scale and
- Systems and supports for the synthesis of oligonucleotides at all scales
- Products for cell separation
- Microcarriers for mammalian cells
Our protein separations manufacturing and testing facilities are in Uppsala and Umeå, Sweden, and Westborough, MA, USA. We
also have facilities for training personnel in all aspects of downstream processing in Munich, Germany and Piscataway, NJ,
We supply chromatography media and equipment for all commonly used separation techniques. These include:
Capto, for high productivity capture
- MabSelect, for purification of monoclonal antibodies
- Sepharose Fast Flow, for all general-purpose separations
- Columns, from prepacked, laboratory-scale, HiTrap columns, to production-scale Chromaflow columns
- ÄKTAdesign systems, from laboratory bench to production
- UNICORN software, for control of all systems.
In membrane separations we provide:
- ÄKTAcrossflow, the first fully automated pilot-scale system for development, optimization and scale-up
- Hollow fiber cartridges and Kvick cassettes
- UniFlux large-scale systems
All systems are steered by UNICORN, facilitating communication between chromatographic and membrane separations.
In addition, we provide knowledge and support for all types of downstream processes through Fast Trak consulting, training
courses and validation documentation packages.
Our markets include universities and institutes researching protein structure and function, as well as large pharmaceutical
companies, contract manufacturers, and start-up enterprises developing new biopharmaceuticals.
GE HEALTHCARE BIO-SCIENCES AB
Björkgatan 30 751 84 Uppsala Sweden