The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has recalled drugs made by Boots UK due to a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the tamper seal that might result in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines. This follows a precautionary recall by the pharmacy-led retailer in November 2013 asking patients to return specific cough and cold medicines purchased since September 2013.
“This is a precautionary recall by Boots and there is a low risk of plastic being found in bottles. There is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.People should check their medicine cupboards at home and return these products to Boots. If people have any questions, they should contact Boots Customer Care Team or they can speak to their GP,” says Adam Burgess, the MHRA’s Head of Defective Medicines Reporting Centre (DMRC) in a press release.
Boots has extended the scope of the original recall to include further batches and medicines, and is asking patients to return all batches of specific paracetamol, gripe mixture, and cough and cold medicines. While there is currently no evidence of problems resulting from this manufacturing fault, customers are being asked to return the following medicines to Boots as a precautionary measure:
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Chesty Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Dry Cough Relief Oral Solution, PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Mucus Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 years Plus 250mg/5ml Oral Solution 200ml, PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 Years Plus 250mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Ibuprofen 3 Months plus 100mg/5ml Oral suspension Strawberry flavour, PL 00014/0652
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Tickly Cough Relief Oral Solution PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0638
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 200ml PL 00014/0660
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Cough Syrup 3 Months Plus PL 00014/0500
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Gripe Mixture 1 Month Plus PL 00014/5236.